St Elizabeth Parish
| Treasure Beach is located in St Elizabeth | Here are a few facts about the area. |
1. Saint Elizabeth originally included most of the southwest part of the island, but Westmoreland was taken from it in 1703, and in 1814 a part of Manchester. The resulting areas were named after the wife of Sir Thomas Modyford, the first English Governor of Jamaica.
2. There are archeological traces of Taíno/Arawak existence in the parish, as well as of 17th-century colonial Spanish settlements. Today, buildings with 'Spanish wall' construction (masonry of limestone sand and stone between wooden frames) can still be seen in some areas.
3. the town of Black River was once an important seaport. In addition to shipping sugar and molasses, Black River was the centre of the logging trade. Large quantities of logwood were exported to Europe.
4. St Elizabeth was the first parish to have electric power, where it was first introduced in a house called Waterloo in Black River in 1893.
5. There are three mountain ranges: the Nassau Mountains to the north-east, the Lacovia Mountains to the west of the Nassau Mountains, and the Santa Cruz Mountains which run south and divide the wide plain to end in a precipitous drop of 1,600 feet (490 m) at Lovers' Leap.
6. The main river in the parish is the Black River. Measuring 53.4 kilometres (33.2 mi), it is one of the longest rivers in Jamaica.
7. St Elizabeth probably has the greatest ethnic mixture in Jamaica. St. Elizabeth provides the best testimony of the Jamaican motto – "Out of many, one people".